Thursday, January 15, 2009

" Your So Talented!... but we won't give you a job"...


Criticism and Praise. Two powerful forces based on an opinion and speech.
Since the last time I updated, I've gotten 3 rejections from 3 different companies.
Since I've graduated school I've gotten a total of 17 rejections and peppered in those rejections were some sort of criticism or a half hearted excuse why I didn't get the job. On the other side of the coin, normal people and common folks will say things like " Your So Talented!", " You should be working for Lucas!", " Wow such a gift!" etc. I've been in the middle of these two fields for almost 2 years now and to be honest I'm totally confused!

Basically what this means is (for lack of a better term) I'm the Lukewarm Pro/Vis. Dev.-Artist i.e The "Nutrasweet/Equal/Sweet n' Low/Diet" of the artworld. Tastes great but, not like the real thing. It's really great to be recognized for your gifts and talent in art but , it sucks to have them constantly dismissed or rejected by the Entertainment Industry money driven standards. Well, I'm just blowing off steam and laughing at the same time about my cool quip I thought of.

A Beautiful Letdown: the low calorie substitue to your fattening Art & Entertainment Industry!
LMBO!!! Well God is still in control and he's making a special place for me in life and after this life!
He'll open a door that no man can shut, and that likes Diet for a change....

-Brandon

3 comments:

mspi said...

have you tried my technique when that happens? i write back to the company that dismissed me letting them know i believe they made a mistake, followed by the list of supporting reasons as to why. seriously, they already said i didn't have the job. what else can happen?

fyi: i only did this once but it worked and i ended up staying there for 4.5 years.

Edward said...

Watsup Brandon---I was reading this and could not help but respond. Bobby Chiu once quoted something along the lines of how our setbacks are life's way of asking us if we want to continue on...testing us to see if we will rise to the occassion. Keep creating inspired work-- consitently improving on anatomy, perpective, lighting, color, design, etc--explore styles, define your own. Nothing can stop you other than yourself. Brush off those rejections (all artists have been there--even Todd McFarlane had like a hundred some I read somewhere)--and keep flexing those artistic muscles!

M! said...

mspi has probably given you the worst advice possible.

I work in the games/comics/movie industry and my wife works in the video game industy. That's just reference for my advice.

My wife, specifically, is the person you have to go through to even be considered for a job. If she got a letter from someone they had turned down explaining how wrong they are for turning them down, their resume and all of their information would go into the garbage. No company wants to deal with that. If a company says "no" to you, there are a million reasons you don't even know about as to why. A letter like that will only piss them off.

"What else can happen?" The industry is very small. You have not only blown that job opportunity, but others down the line with that company, and any company that one engages with.

The only way to increase your work opportunities is to work hard, get better, network, and impress.

M!